Best Razor For Sensitive Skin: The Top 10 Razors
Shaving can be a complicated and dangerous game. With all of the possible cuts, nicks and bumps, it is something that needs to be approached with extra love and caution. This is especially true if you find that your skin is a little more sensitive than the average person's, in which case you may need to add just a bit more care and consideration to your shaving routine.
The first step in doing this is choosing the right razor from a sea of good grooming products. Do you want a single blade or several? What about a weighted grip? Are disposable razors really so bad? Finding the best razor for your sensitive skin is important, which is why we compiled a list of the top 10 razors on the market.
1. What do I need to know about good quality razors?
A crucial thing to understand about razors is the difference between a safety razor and a cartridge razor.
These are also known as double-edge razors. They consist of two single blades on opposite sides of the razor body and come with a guard for added protection. They require practice and the right shaving technique, so they’re perfect for someone willing to add in the extra time. They are also more expensive than cartridge razors.
These are the razors you see in drug stores, with anywhere from three to five blades on top of their handles. These razors are less expensive and don’t require a specific technique, but they are prone to causing more skin irritation. In other words, more blades equal more opportunity for cuts and nicks.
2. What else do I need to know about shaving for sensitive skin?
It is important to spend time caring for your skin before and after you shave. It is recommended that you wash and exfoliate the skin before shaving so that you remove the dead skin particles that can cause irritation-inducing bacteria. Once you’re done shaving, providing moisture and hydration to the shaved areas will reduce bumps.
How the List Was Created
There were a lot of razors that almost made the list. In order to truly find the best razors for sensitive skin, we searched high and low for shavers that excelled in quality, providing solutions for skin sensitivity, price and customer reviews. We also found it helpful to divide the list in half by male and female razors, knowing fully well that some people ignore these parameters when choosing the one that works best for them. Regardless of preference, we wanted to provide the most diverse and beneficial list of razors for everyone.
The Top 10 Razors for Sensitive Skin
- HYDRATES LONGER THAN ANY OTHER RAZOR, leaving your skin SILKY SMOOTH
- WATER-ACTIVATED MOISTURIZING SERUM helps replenish skin's natural moisture for up to two hours after shaving, keeping...
- FIVE CURVE SENSING BLADES with unique skin guards to smooth skin throughout every stroke, helping to reduce irritation...
This is a truly special razor. The blades are surrounded by a barrier infused with moisturizing shea butter, which will leave your legs feeling smooth from the close shave and soft from the extra hydration. The Schick Hydro Silk comes with five blades, giving you accuracy and fewer irritation bumps.
Comes in two types: reusable and disposable
Lasts longer than other hydrating razors
Gel can sometimes get in the way of a close shave
The Merkur 2-piece double-edge safety razor, features a closed-comb head, stunning polished gold finish and heavy weighted (3”) knurled handle for delicated control. It's also known as the 34G and is compatible with all other double-edge blades.
Provides a safe and clean shave
Designed with aesthetics in mind
Comes in a rose gold color
Can be rather expensive
- Clinically tested to help prevent razor bumps and irritation
- Everything you need for a cleaner, smoother shave
- Designed to provide a high quality and premium grooming experience
Bevel is a company that looks a little different from the rest of the razor brands on this list. It has created an entire shaving package, which includes the Bevel Safety Razor, blade refills, a shave brush, oil and cream. Once you buy the kit, you will then be sent four refill shipments a year.
Included cream and oil
Free shipping on quarterly refills
Odorous aftershave cream
- SCHICK(r) INTUITION (r) FOR WOMEN PUT THE SHAVE CREAM RIGHT ON THE RAZOR
- LATHERS and MOISTURIZES during shaving --no need for soap, shave gel or body wash
- UNIQUE SKIN CONDITIONING SOLID enriched with Vitamin E and 100% natural Aloe for moisturizing sensitive skin during...
It’s no coincidence that Schick takes up three of the 10 spots on our list. The company knows how to provide moisture and hydration with its products, and the Schick Intuition Sensitive Care is no exception. Similar in concept to the Hydro Silk razor mentioned earlier, the Sensitive Care also comes with an infused moisturizing barrier. Because of this, the user doesn’t need to use soap, shave gel or shave cream.
Hydrates skin with aloe and vitamin E oil as it shaves
A head that turns and pivots to prevent cuts
Has been known to be a bit bulky in size and weight
- Sharp Shaving Blades: Panasonic Close Curves women's electric shaver with three ultra-sharp blades and ultra-thin foil...
- Flexible Pivoting Heads Electric Shaver and Trimmer 2 in 1: Three independently floating flexible pivoting heads glide...
- Wet/Dry Shaving Convenience: Wet/dry waterproof shaver allows for convenient shaving in or out of the shower
It is necessary in the discussion of best razors for sensitive skin to include an electric shaver. The Panasonic Shaver for Women can be used with or without water, and comes with a trimming attachment for bikini shaving.
Comes with four individually rotating blades
Made with a pivoting head for a safe shave
Made with a pivoting head
It is necessary in the discussion of best razors for sensitive skin to include an electric shaver. The Merkur Classic MK-34C can be used with or without water, and comes with a trimming attachment for beards, mustache, and even bikini shaving.
Provides a weighted body
Gives a close shave without the bumps
The shorter handle can be hard to hold on to
- Gillette razors for men with stronger-than-steel blades stay sharper longer (vs. Sensor3)
- Each razor blade refill is engineered to last for 15 comfortable shaves
- Men's razor cartridge features sharper blades (first 2 blades vs. Sensor3)
It is important to include a set of disposable razors on this list, and the Gillette Mach 3 Sensitive razor provides a clean, secure shave with three blades and moisturizing strips.
A very affordable route to take
Uses disposable blades
Short life of disposable blades
Not seen as a good investment
- PERFECT SHAVE: Achieve a closer, smoother, more professional shave without the hassle of irritation or ingrown hairs...
- COST EFFECTIVE: Once you have the long handle men's manual shaver, all you need to buy are the blades. You simply can't...
- KEYS TO SHAVE: Here are four keys to a successful shave 1-Use as little pressure as possible, let the weight of the...
This product is definitely an investment. The Feather Double-Edge Razor is made from pure stainless steel and gives its users safety and cleanliness in every shave. This razor is perfect once you practice the technique and get a grasp on the different angles of the blade.
More control because of the double edge
The stainless steel body will last a long time
One of the more expensive razors on the market
You can count on an extremely close shave with the Hydro 5 Sense Hydrate Razor from Schick. It comes with five sharp blades and a trimming attachment for the harder to reach areas of your face or body. This razor is especially beneficial for sensitive skin because of the added herbal extracts in the hydration formula..
The five blades give an extra-close and clean shave
Has a hydrating formula
Blades can become dull quickly
- The Braun Series 7 is a 100% waterproof smart electric shaver designed for a close and gentle shave - engineered in...
- Built-in Responsive Intelligence automatically adapts to the features of your face, for a shave that's personal to you
- Four synchronised shaving elements achieve in one stroke what others do in two
This electric shaver is the only “smart” shaver on the list. It is built to actually change settings based on your beard and has five available options that range from ultra-sensitive to extra-intense. The Braun Electric Shaver 790 series is truly one of a kind.
Comes with settings applicable for sensitive skin
Technology not always being accurate
Comparison Table Information
Schick Hydro Silk Razor for Women
Merkur 2-piece double-edge safety razor
Bevel Shave System
Schick Intuition Sensitive Care
Panasonic Electric Shaver for Women
Merkur Classic MK-34C
Gillette Mach 3
Classic 3-Piece Double Edge Safety Razor Long Handle
Schick Hydro 5 Sense
Braun Electric Series 790
Although there are many different types and styles of razors, it seems after extensive review that safety razors are the most effective in shaving sensitive skin without irritating it. Cartridge and electric razors can get the job done, but they require more money in the long run as well.
The Merkur Heavy Duty 34c Razor gets our recommendation because of its affordable $40 price tag and double-edged safety. It provides a close shave without the fear of razor burn that often comes with a four- or five-bladed razor. Its comfortable, easy-to-maneuver grip also sets it apart from the pack. The weighted body means the Merkur does a lot of the work for you as you navigate the nooks and crannies of your face or legs. It's a durable razor that's built to last.